Originally from Hassocks in West Sussex, Robert graduated with a MChem in Chemistry with Drug Discovery from the University of Bath in 2012 spending a year on industrial placement at BioFocus as a synthetic medicinal chemist. He joined the Doctoral Training Centre at the Centre for Sustainable Chemical Technologies in October 2012, graduating in 2017 and deciding to stay on in the Bull Group for a 1 Yr PDRA. Rob enjoys socialising with friends down the pub as well as watching and playing sport.
Bill graduated from the University of Bath in 2013 with a MChem degree for drug discovery, including a placement year at BAT investigating the effectiveness of different carbon types for the removal of vapour phase smoke toxicants. He is currently working on a CDT funded Ph.D developing novel catalytic strategies for converting biorenewable terpeness into value-added chemicals, polymers and drug molecules. In his spare time Bill likes to play sport and is attempting to improve his surfing skills.
Originally from West Sussex, Emma graduated with a MChem in Chemistry for Drug Discovery from the University of Bath in 2013. She joined the Doctoral Training Centre in Sustainable Chemical Technologies in October 2013, and is currently developing responsive polymers for the sensing and extraction of diols and sugars. Outside of the lab Emma enjoys socialising with friends, going to the gym, and drinking the occasional bottle of wine or two.
Originally from South Wales, Liam graduated from the University of Bath in 2014 with an MChem in Chemistry with an industrial placement year at AkzoNobel in Newcastle where he worked on anti-fouling polymers. His Ph.D is based on the development of novel antibiotics for the treatment of pathogenic bacteria. This is a joint project with Dr Toby Jenkins. In his spare time Liam enjoys playing and watching numerous sports including football and tennis.
Originally from Surrey, Adam graduated from the University of Bath in 2014 with an MChem in chemistry for drug discovery. Adam carried out his industrial placement at BioFocus in Saffron Walden as a synthetic medicinal chemist. His PhD is based on the development of novel chemosensors for the detection of reactive oxygen species. This is a joint project with Professor Tony James. In his spare time Adam enjoys playing and watching numerous sports including swimming and rugby
Originally from Birmingham, Maria graduated from the University of Bath in 2016 with an MSci in Natural Sciences. Her Ph.D is based on the development of diagnostic and theranostic sensor systems for reactive oxygen species. This is a joint Ph.D project with Professor Tony James. In her spare time Maria enjoys running, baking, reading and talking.
Originally from Berlin, Maria graduated from the University of Edinburgh in 2014 with an MChem in Chemistry with a year abroad at ETH Zurich worked on small molecule inhibitors for the treatment of African sleeping sickness. After working for a while, she has just started her Ph.D based on the development of theranostic sensor systems for the detection of reactive oxygen species. In her spare time, she enjoys listening to French music, salsa dancing and making cupcakes every now and then.
Originally from Birmingham, Josh graduated from the University of Cambridge in 2015 with an MSci in Natural Sciences where he was working on the flow synthesis of peptides from N-carboxyanhydrides. His PhD is focussed on catalytic transformations of terpenes and other biorenewables, with a focus on the synthesis of polymers from biorenewable feedstocks. In his spare time, Josh enjoys collecting vinyl records, baking, and running to work off the cake.
Rory graduated from Bristol with a BSc in Chemistry in 2015 after carrying out a final year project using X-ray crystallography to determine the structure of engineered protein scaffolds. His Ph.D project is in collaboration with Dr Chris Pudney in Biology, looking at what structural changes occur when the alpha-helices of peptides/proteins are replaced with peptide foldamers derived from beta-amino acids. Outside of the lab, Rory enjoys running, Brazilian jiu-jitsu and aprendiendo a hablar Español.
Evotec Industrial Ph.D Students
Originally from Blackpool, Holly graduated from the University of Oxford in 2013 with an MChem in Chemistry. After working at Evotec for just over two years, she is in the 2nd year of her industrial PhD on the design and synthesis of small molecules for the treatment of autoimmune diseases. When she’s not in the lab, Holly enjoys horse riding, indie music, and a drink or two with friends.
Shelley graduated with a MChem from the University of Southampton in 2011. In her third year, she worked at Novartis in Horsham as an industrial placement student which initiated her enthusiasm for drug discovery. After five years working at Evotec, she has started her industrial PhD looking to develop new antibacterials. In her spare time, she enjoys reading, baking and a glass of wine or two with friends.
Bath Ph.D Students
(28) 2018 Dr Rob Chapman (Just Graduated)
(27) 2017 Dr Ruth Lawrence (Just Graduated)
(26) 2016 Dr Caroline Jones (Just Graduated)
(25) 2016 Dr Luke Williams (Just Graduated)
(24) 2016 Dr Richard Blackburn (Teaching Fellow in Chemistry, University of Leicester)
(23) 2015 Dr Chris Hotchens (Patent Lawyer, Wynne-Jones IP, Bristol)
(22) 2015 Dr David Tickell (Research Scientist, DSTL, Porton Down, Wiltshire)
(21) 2015 Dr Sarah Abou-Shehada (Patent Lawyer, Abel & Imray, Bath)
(20) 2014 Dr Lucy Peacock (Engineering Consultant, Turner and Townsend, Bristol)
(19) 2012 Dr Jennifer Peed (Patent Lawyer, HGF Limited, Birmingham)
(18) 2012 Dr Robert Archer (Research Scientist, Tocris Chemicals, Bristol)
(17) 2012 Dr Caroline Evans (Head of Chemistry, Wellington College, Crowthorne)
(16) 2012 Dr Paul Fordred (Research Scientist, Apollo Scientific, Manchester)
(15) 2012 Dr John Watkins (Senior Electrochemist, Lumishield Technologies, Pittsburgh, USA)
(14) 2011 Dr James Taylor (Leverhulme Early Career Fellow, University of St Andrews)
(13) 2011 Dr Magdalena Powell (Science Teacher, Bath)
(12) 2009 Dr Iwan Davies (Head of Chemistry, Highgate School, London)
(11) 2008 Dr Philip Axe (Senior Analytical Scientist, Catalent Pharma Solutions, Swindon)
(10) 2008 Dr Andy Kelly (Managing Editor, Scientific Publishing, Taylor & Francis, Abingdon)
(9) 2007 Dr Gangani Shermer (Teaching Fellow, Department of Chemistry, Uni of Bath)
(8) 2007 Dr Sonia Lozano-Yeste (Patent Law, Barcelona)
(7) 2006 Dr Michael Thatcher (Senior Scientist, Abbot Diabetes, Witney)
(6) 2006 Dr Rachel Green (Scientific Analyst, GCHQ, Cheltenham)
(5) 2005 Dr Matthew Cheeseman (Staff Scientist, Cancer Research Institute, London)
(4) 2005 Dr Piers Taylor (Science Teacher, Gordano School, Bristol)
(3) 2005 Dr Diane Robinson (Forensic Scientist, National Centre for Forensics, Canberra, Australia)
(2) 2005 Dr Yolanda Pérez-Fuertes (Research Scientist, Evotec Drug Discovery, Abingdon)
(1) 2004 Dr Fred Feuillet (Development Chemist, Shasun Pharma Solutions, Newcastle)
PostDoctoral Research Assistants
(15) 2015 Dr Dareen Jaiash - 3 Month PDRA Fellowship funded by British Council in Saudi Arabia
(14) 2014 Dr Santiago Royo - 1 Yr PDRA Fellowship funded by District of Valencia, Spain.
(13) 2013-16 Dr Massi Vezzoli - 2 Yr PDRA funded by EPSRC.
(12) 2014-16 Dr Mark Hutchby - 3 Yr PDRA funded by EPSRC.
(11) 2013-15 Dr Jennifer Peed - 2 Yr PDRA funded by DTI KTP with Quotient Diagnostics.
(10) 2012 Dr James Taylor - 9
months PDRA Fellowship funded by ERC and UOB.
(9) 2012 Dr Tomoki Nishimura - 1 Yr PDRA funded by JSPS.
(8) 2010 Dr Steve Flower - 6 months PDRA funded by University of Bath.
(7) 2008-11 Dr Sylvain Royer - 3 Yr PDRA funded by BBSRC Response Mode.
(6) 2006-08 Dr Michael Thatcher - 2 Yr PDRA funded by DTI KTP with Smart Holograms.
(5) 2005-07 Dr Harry Lamble - 2 year PDRA funded by BBSRC Response Mode.
(4) 2003 Dr Christine Gauzy - 1 Yr PDRA funded by Region of Clermont-Auvergne, France.
(3) 2003 Dr Fred Feulliet - 1 Yr PDRA funded by Royal Society.
(2) 2003 Dr Jean-Phillip Cros - 6 months PDRA funded by Beckman Coulter.
(1) 2002 Dr Philip Perkins - 6 months PDRA funded by Royal Society.
CDT Masters Students
(11) 2016 Rory Crean
(10) 2016 Josh Tibbets
(9) 2015 Richard Maltby
(8) 2014 William Cunningham
(7) 2013 Caroline Jones
(6) 2013 Robert Chapman
(5) 2012 Alexander Chittendon
(4) 2011 Sarah Abou-Shehada
(3) 2010 Lisa Sargeant (DTC Prize winner)
(2) 2010 Chris Hall
(1) 2009 Tom Forder (DTC Prize winner)