Originally from Birmingham, Josh graduated from the University of Cambridge in 2015 with an MSci in Natural Sciences where he was working on the flow synthesis of peptides from N-carboxyanhydrides. His PhD is focussed on catalytic transformations of terpenes and other biorenewables, with a focus on the synthesis of polymers from biorenewable feedstocks. In his spare time, Josh enjoys collecting vinyl records, playing in a Joy Division tribute band, baking, and running to work off the cake.
Originally from Birmingham, Maria graduated from the University of Bath in 2016 with an MSci in Natural Sciences. Her Ph.D is based on the development of diagnostic and theranostic sensor systems for reactive oxygen species. This is a joint Ph.D project with Professor Tony James. In her spare time Maria enjoys running, baking, reading and talking.
Originally from Berlin, Maria graduated from the University of Edinburgh in 2014 with an MChem in Chemistry with a year abroad at ETH Zurich worked on small molecule inhibitors for the treatment of African sleeping sickness. After working for a while, she has just started her Ph.D based on the development of theranostic sensor systems for the detection of reactive oxygen species. In her spare time, she enjoys listening to French music, salsa dancing and making cupcakes every now and then.
Rory graduated from Bristol with a BSc in Chemistry in 2015 after carrying out a final year project using X-ray crystallography to determine the structure of engineered protein scaffolds. His Ph.D project is in collaboration with Dr Chris Pudney in Biology, looking at what structural changes occur when the alpha-helices of peptides/proteins are replaced with peptide foldamers derived from beta-amino acids. Outside of the lab, Rory enjoys running, Brazilian jiu-jitsu and aprendiendo a hablar Español.
Originally from Coventry, Ben graduated from the University of Bath in 2017 with an MChem in Chemistry for Drug Discovery. During his time at Bath he undertook an industrial placement at Charles River Laboratories as a synthetic organic chemist. His PhD is focussed on new synthetic methodology for the synthesis of aromatic and heteroaromatic scaffolds. In his spare time, Ben enjoys following Formula One, volunteering as a live event technician and walking his dog, Dobbie.
Originally from France, Robin graduated with an MSci in Chemistry from the University of Bristol in 2015. During this course he carried out a 1 year medicinal chemistry placement at RedX Oncology (Liverpool), and a Masters project under Prof. Booker-Milburn. After a year out teaching Maths and Sciences, he joined the Bristol/Bath/Cardiff CDT in Catalysis. Robin's work focuses on new synthetic methodologies for the synthesis of vinyl esters and their further derivatisation using biocatalytic and synthetic methods. Aside from chemistry, Robin enjoys cooking, eating, all things sci-fi and just generally being French.
Originally from China, Liyuan (Liliane) graduated from the University of Technology (China) in 2016 with a BSc in Medicine and continued her studies with a taught MSc in drug discovery at the University of Bath. Her PhD is focussed on the synthesis of fluorescence probes for the detection of pathogenic species. In her spare time, Liliane enjoys travelling and watching movies.
Originally from China, Mingyu (Emily) graduated from the University of Bath in 2018 with an MSc in Chemistry for Drug Discovery. Her PhD is focussed on a protecting group free strategy for the sustainable catalytic synthesis of polyketide natural products. In her spare time, Mingyu enjoys going hiking, eating and playing the piano.
Evotec Industrial Ph.D Students
Originally from Blackpool, Holly graduated from the University of Oxford in 2013 with an MChem in Chemistry. After working at Evotec for just over two years, she is in the 2nd year of her industrial PhD on the design and synthesis of small molecules for the treatment of autoimmune diseases. When she’s not in the lab, Holly enjoys horse riding, indie music, and a drink or two with friends.
Shelley graduated with a MChem from the University of Southampton in 2011. In her third year, she worked at Novartis in Horsham as an industrial placement student which initiated her enthusiasm for drug discovery. After five years working at Evotec, she has started her industrial PhD looking to develop new antibacterials. In her spare time, she enjoys reading, baking and a glass of wine or two with friends.
Bath Ph.D Students
(32) 2018 Dr Bill Cunningham (PDRA, Cresswell Group, University of Bath)
(31) 2018 Dr Adam Sedgwick (PDRA, Sessler Group, University of Texas in Austin)
(30) 2018 Dr Liam Stephens (PDRA, Jones Group, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia)
(29) 2017 Dr Emma Lampard (Laboratory Manager, University of Leicester)
(28) 2017 Dr Rob Chapman (PDRA, Bull Group)
(27) 2017 Dr Ruth Lawrence (Just Graduated)
(26) 2016 Dr Caroline Jones (Senior Scientist, Sterling Pharma Solutions)
(25) 2016 Dr Luke Williams (Just Graduated)
(24) 2016 Dr Richard Blackburn (Teaching Fellow in Chemistry, University of Leicester)
(23) 2015 Dr Chris Hotchens (Patent Lawyer, Wynne-Jones IP, Bristol)
(22) 2015 Dr David Tickell (Research Scientist, DSTL, Porton Down, Wiltshire)
(21) 2015 Dr Sarah Abou-Shehada (Patent Lawyer, Abel & Imray, Bath)
(20) 2014 Dr Lucy Peacock (Engineering Consultant, Turner and Townsend, Bristol)
(19) 2012 Dr Jennifer Peed (Patent Lawyer, HGF Limited, Birmingham)
(18) 2012 Dr Robert Archer (Research Scientist, Tocris Chemicals, Bristol)
(17) 2012 Dr Caroline Evans (Head of Chemistry, Wellington College, Crowthorne)
(16) 2012 Dr Paul Fordred (Research Scientist, Apollo Scientific, Manchester)
(15) 2012 Dr John Watkins (Senior Electrochemist, Lumishield Technologies, Pittsburgh, USA)
(14) 2011 Dr James Taylor (Leverhulme Early Career Fellow, University of St Andrews)
(13) 2011 Dr Magdalena Powell (Science Teacher, Bath)
(12) 2009 Dr Iwan Davies (Head of Chemistry, Highgate School, London)
(11) 2008 Dr Philip Axe (Senior Analytical Scientist, Catalent Pharma Solutions, Swindon)
(10) 2008 Dr Andy Kelly (Managing Editor, Scientific Publishing, Taylor & Francis, Abingdon)
(9) 2007 Dr Gangani Shermer (Teaching Fellow, Department of Chemistry, Uni of Bath)
(8) 2007 Dr Sonia Lozano-Yeste (Patent Law, Barcelona)
(7) 2006 Dr Michael Thatcher (Senior Scientist, Abbot Diabetes, Witney)
(6) 2006 Dr Rachel Green (Scientific Analyst, GCHQ, Cheltenham)
(5) 2005 Dr Matthew Cheeseman (Staff Scientist, Cancer Research Institute, London)
(4) 2005 Dr Piers Taylor (Science Teacher, Gordano School, Bristol)
(3) 2005 Dr Diane Robinson (Forensic Scientist, National Centre for Forensics, Canberra, Australia)
(2) 2005 Dr Yolanda Pérez-Fuertes (Research Scientist, Evotec Drug Discovery, Abingdon)
(1) 2004 Dr Fred Feuillet (Development Chemist, Shasun Pharma Solutions, Newcastle)
PostDoctoral Research Assistants
(17) 2018 Dr Bill Cunningham - 6 Month PDRA funded by EPSRC.
(16) 2017-18 Dr Rob Chapman - 1 Yr PDRA funded by EPSRC.
(15) 2015 Dr Dareen Jaiash - 3 Month PDRA Fellowship funded by British Council in Saudi Arabia
(14) 2014 Dr Santiago Royo - 1 Yr PDRA Fellowship funded by District of Valencia, Spain.
(13) 2013-16 Dr Massi Vezzoli - 2 Yr PDRA funded by EPSRC.
(12) 2014-16 Dr Mark Hutchby - 3 Yr PDRA funded by EPSRC.
(11) 2013-15 Dr Jennifer Peed - 2 Yr PDRA funded by DTI KTP with Quotient Diagnostics.
(10) 2012 Dr James
Taylor - 9 months PDRA Fellowship funded by ERC and
(9) 2012 Dr Tomoki Nishimura - 1 Yr PDRA funded by JSPS.
(8) 2010 Dr Steve Flower - 6 months PDRA funded by University of Bath.
(7) 2008-11 Dr Sylvain Royer - 3 Yr PDRA funded by BBSRC Response Mode.
(6) 2006-08 Dr Michael Thatcher - 2 Yr PDRA funded by DTI KTP with Smart Holograms.
(5) 2005-07 Dr Harry Lamble - 2 year PDRA funded by BBSRC Response Mode.
(4) 2003 Dr Christine Gauzy - 1 Yr PDRA funded by Region of Clermont-Auvergne, France.
(3) 2003 Dr Fred Feulliet - 1 Yr PDRA funded by Royal Society.
(2) 2003 Dr Jean-Phillip Cros - 6 months PDRA funded by Beckman Coulter.
(1) 2002 Dr Philip Perkins - 6 months PDRA funded by Royal Society.
CDT Masters Students
(14) 2017 Alison
(13) 2017 Robin
(12) 2017 Roman Abrans
(11) 2016 Rory Crean
(10) 2016 Josh Tibbetts
(9) 2015 Richard Maltby
(8) 2014 William Cunningham
(7) 2013 Caroline Jones
(6) 2013 Robert Chapman
(5) 2012 Alexander Chittendon
(4) 2011 Sarah Abou-Shehada
(3) 2010 Lisa Sargeant (DTC Prize winner)
(2) 2010 Chris Hall
(1) 2009 Tom Forder (DTC Prize winner)